Reverend Charlie’s Column
- May 20 Minister Moment -
This Sunday is Christian Pentecost, the 50th day after Passover, and, in the book of Acts, the day the apostles were filled with the holy spirit and able to speak to every nation, in fulfillment of Joel’s prophesy. Interestingly, they tend to leave out this ... read more.
- May 11 Minister Moment - Hello from the desert. I am spending a week with other Unitarian Universalist ministers, seminarians and religious educators learning about immigration across the Mexican border. On Wednesday we spent much of our time in Arivaca, Arizona, a small but well-organized community with one food store (larger than ... read more.
- May 4 Minister Moment -
Thank you to the Worship Services Committee for arranging Sunday services while I am away. You will have two of my friends and your neighbors in the pulpit for the next two weeks. Welcome Walter Clark this week and Rev. David Morris next. They will ... read more.
- April 27 Minister Moment - Huzzah! Cheers and thanks for two events this past week. Our Music Sunday Service and our Death Cafe! Both were fine examples of the congregation working together to serve and create. First the music: Thanks to Matt Griset for leading “Earth and the People in It” a celebration ... read more.
- April 20 Minister Moment -
April is such a busy month! Tonight (Friday April 20) is our third time running Death Cafe … an intentionally maudlin-sounding name for a specific, guided reflection on our own mortality. The program was developed to help people “make the most of their (finite) lives” ... read more.
- April 13 Minister Moment -
Bring a flower this Sunday, any flower you want to share. Our yearly Flower Communion is a service dedicated to thinking about diversity and community. We each bring a flower (or select one from our outdoor “pick a flower” vase.) Then all our diverse flowers ... read more.
- April 6 Minister Moment -
April is certainly beginning with a lot of energy. Flowers are blooming and it’s warm enough for yard work, trips, team sports and baseball, and it’s exhausting. Come this Sunday to our worship service … “For the Beauty of the Earth” a meditation on the wonderful ... read more.
- March 30 Minister Moment -
“Celebration of Life.” The other day I was re-listening to Kate Braestrup interview from the radio program “On Being”. While discussing her work as a chaplain, Rev. Braestrup mentioned that Tibetan Buddhists say “you prepare your whole life for your death;” and then she says ... read more.
- March 23 Minister Moment -
This is a rare week with no Friday events at UCN. Don’t despair … Hampton Roads has plenty to do. May I suggest that tonight (Friday) you head over to Virginia Wesleyan University? It is a benefit called “2018 Empty Bowls,” a fundraiser for hunger ... read more.
- March 16 Minister Moment -
This past Wednesday students from many schools walked out of their schools for 17 minutes, one for every student killed in Parkland, FL. The videos and photos were heartbreaking and hopeful. As with so many other examples of activism in the USA, the many protests ... read more.